Following is a list of Wallace images (mostly
photo-portraits) published during his own time (and thus now post-copyright)
that I have come across. Please note that I have not checked for multiple
printings of the same photo. Also note that some of these photos may
have been printed as left-to-right reversals. The Wallace images I have
actually reproduced at this site come from: the book Darwinism,
at age 66 ("Home" screen); the book My Life, at ages 25, 55
and 80 (the first, third and fourth alternate images to the "Home" screen);
James Marchant, Alfred Russel Wallace: Letters and Reminiscences (1916),
in 1862, 1912 and 1913 (the second, eighth and ninth alternate
images to the "Home" screen); C. W. Saleeby, The Cycle
of Life According to Modern Science (1904), opp. p. 142--perhaps
the reprint of an image on p. 937 of the Harper's New
Monthly Magazine issue of November 1897 (the fifth alternate
image to the "Home" screen);
John Rothenstein, The
Portrait Drawings of William Rothenstein 1889-1925 (1926), pl. XLII
(the sixth alternate image to the "Home" screen); a Wallace
interview published in the 20 January 1909 issue of The Woman Worker (the
seventh alternate image to the "Home" screen); the book My
Life, at age
30 (the "Wallace Writings" screen); and the book My Life, at
age 46 (the "Wallace Interviews" screen). Many of the books I list in
the "Writings on Wallace" section also contain photographs of Wallace,
including some that are not among the ones itemized below.
Doing an image search on Google.com is a good
way quickly to come up with a lot of actual images of Wallace, though
one cannot find electronic versions of some of the ones referred to below
George Beccaloni has recently made available
a considerable number of other Wallace images at
Portraits Found in His Own Books (as portrait-frontispieces):
- A Narrative of Travels on the Amazon and Rio
Lock & Co. 2nd (1889), Ward, Lock & Co. (1889), 3rd
(1890), 4th (1892), and 5th (1895 & 1900) eds.
- Travels on the Amazon and Rio Negro: Ward,
Lock & Co. (n.d.: 1900?), New Amsterdam Book Co. (1900).
- Darwinism (1889-): all editions.
- The Wonderful Century (1898-): all editions.
- My Life (1905-), frontispiece and four other images: all editions.
- The World of Life: Moffat, Yard & Co. 1916 reprint ed. only.
- Social Environment and Moral Progress (1913-): all editions.
- The Revolt of Democracy (1913-): all editions.
Portraits Found in Various Magazines and Journals
Portraits Found in Books and Annuals (chronologically listed):
Edward Drinker Cope, Alfred Russel Wallace (1891): frontispiece
- in Labour Annual 1896: frontispiece.
- in Edward Clodd, Pioneers of Evolution from Thales
to Huxley (1897): between pp. 126 & 127.
- in Notables of Britain: An Album of Portraits
and Autographs... (1897): 159.
- in Karl Werckmeister, Das Neunzehnte Jahrhundert
in Bildnissen, Vol. 2 (1899): pl. 183.
- in Charles Darwin, More Letters of Charles Darwin (1903),
Vol. 2: between pp. 12 & 13 [very nice!].
- in C. W. Saleeby, The Cycle of Life According to Modern
Science (1904): between pp. 142 & 143.
- in James Marchant, Alfred Russel Wallace: Letters
and Reminiscences (1916/1975): frontispiece.
- in John Rothenstein, The Portrait Drawings of William
Rothenstein 1889-1925 (1926), pl. XLII.