Wallace : Alfred Wallace : A. R. Wallace :
Russel Wallace : Alfred Russell
Smith on Wallace
Over the years
I have written a number of pieces on or related to Wallace, and expect
to continue adding to the
tally in the
future. Following are links to html and other versions of some of
(additional items are listed at my homepage and under my name in the "Writings on Wallace" section):
- "Wallace and Incipient Structures: A World of 'More Recondite' Influences" (a paper delivered by videotape at the "2nd International Conference on Alfred Russel Wallace," Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia, November 2013; to be published by Springer in the conference proceedings).
- "Final Causes in Alfred Russel Wallace's Science and Cosmology" (a paper delivered at the "Alfred Russel Wallace Centenary: Natural Selection and Beyond" conference at the American Museum of Natural History in New York, on 12 November 2013).
- "Early Humboldtian Influences on Alfred Russel Wallace's Scheme of Nature" (a 2013 presentation given at a special meeting of the Royal Society of London).
- "Wallace: the Review, and Wallace: the Preview" (an unpublished 2013 essay describing Wallace's main contributions to biogeography, and some directions his ideas might take in the future).
- "Wallace on Natural Selection: What Did He Really Have in Mind?" (a paper delivered at the Alfred Russel Wallace Centenary conference in Bournemouth, U.K., on 7 June 2013).
- "A Further Look at the 1858 Wallace-Darwin Mail Delivery Question" (preprint of a note published in early 2013).
- "Alfred Russel Wallace and the Elimination of the Unfit" (a
note published in early 2012).
Selection: A Concept in Need of Some Evolution?"
(preprint of an essay published in early 2012).
Russel Wallace, Geographer" (an essay published in May
in a Word? On Reading--and Misreading--Alfred Russel Wallace"
(an essay published in January 2009).
Russel Wallace, Journalist" (preprint
of an article published in late 2008)
'Bussel' and 'Kussel,' Or, Using Google Books to Stalk the Elusive Alfred
Russel Wallace" (preprint of an article published in 2008)
Russel Wallace: Contributions to Astronomy" (preprint of an
entry published in Thomas Hockey et al., editors, The Biographical
Encyclopedia of Astronomers, (Springer, 2007), Volume 2)
on Wallace" (link to an article published in the 7 September
2006 issue of Nature)
Russel Wallace: Evolution of an Evolutionist (an online monograph
Russel Wallace, Past and Future" (an address published in 2005)
Unfinished Business" (preprint of an essay published in late
Russel Wallace on Man: A Famous 'Change of Mind'--Or Not?"
(preprint of an essay published in late 2004)
Additions to the Bibliography of Alfred Russel Wallace (1823-1913)"
(an article published in 2004)
'Second Moment': Intelligent Conviction and the Course of Human Evolution"
(a lengthy essay previewing Chapter Five of my online book Alfred
Russel Wallace: Evolution of an Evolutionist)
to Volume One of Alfred Russel Wallace: Writings on Evolution, 1843-1912
(Introduction to Volume One of the three volume set published in January
Alfred Russel Wallace, Societal Planning and Environmental Agenda"
(a paper published in 2003)
of Infinite Tropics: An Alfred Russel Wallace Anthology (a
book review published in 2002)
Alfred Russel (1823-1913) (a bibliographic page created in 2002
for the online service The Infography)
Alfred Russel (1823-1913)" (from The Dictionary of Nineteenth-Century
British Philosophers (Thoemmes Press, 2002), Volume 2)
Russel Wallace on Spiritualism, Man, and Evolution: An Analytical Essay
(a monographic essay printed privately in 1992, and lightly revised
when adapted to html in 1999)
Russel Wallace on Evolution: A Change of Mind?" (a paper presented
at a symposium in 1999)
on the Web...'--Or, When is a 'Russel' a 'Russel'?" (an essay composed
Biogeography: Geography as Evolution, Evolution as Geography"
(a paper published in 1989)