You have several options for learning to do therapy/counseling and psychological evaluations. Consult with your advisor to identify the program that is best for you.
Many are not sure about the population with whom they want to work. Some people know that they prefer to work with adults, with children, with adolescents, or in some other specialized area.
When you are studying graduate programs, examine the training opportunities and the faculty expertise for evidence that you can learn about this area of interest for you. Unless you have very specialized interests, most programs will provide you with the general skills you need to adapt to any particular population.
MA in Clinical Psychology
Ed.S. in School Psychology
See this material.
MSW in Social Work
- Persons with this degree may work in all areas of the human service delivery system. MSWs are found in a variety of practice fields working with diverse populations experiencing just about any problem or issue related to social functioning.
- Two years to completion of degree. (Students with a BSW are eligible to complete their MSWs in one year via an advanced standing track. Students with baccalaureate degrees in related areas can complete their MSWs in two years.)
- Relevant websites
Other helping areas
- MA in Counselor Education or Marriage and Family Therapy
- Mental Health Counseling
- Marriage/Family Counseling
- Criminology; Forensic Psychology. Further information is available at Nute, D. () Advice about a career in forensic science (http://www.criminology.fsu.edu/faculty/nute/FScareers.html) or the American Academy of Forensic Science (http://www.aafs.org/)
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Music Therapy
- Art Therapy
Open directions in a new window | Start over from the beginning | Open further Information in a new window
10/4/00; Last modified: 10/29/00
© since 2000
or comments about the graduate programs: contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions or comments about the website design: contact information