Welcome to Steel Toe Books
Founded in 2003, Steel Toe Books publishes one to three single-author poetry collections per year. Our authors have been featured on Garrison Keillor's radio program, "The Writer's Almanac," on Ted Kooser's newsletter, "American Life in Poetry," as well as on Poetry Daily and Verse Daily. Our books have been reviewed in fine publications such as The Briar Cliff Review, The Comstock Review, Cranky, Diner, The Green Hills Literary Lantern, The Midwest Book Review, New Orleans Review, Poet Lore, Rattle, Review Revue, Rhino, Small Press Review, and Verse.
Our books are professionally designed and printed. We read unsolicited submissions during advertised open reading periods only. Check the "Submit" page for updates.
- Praise for our newest titles…
- Domestic Fugues by Richard Newman
- "His greatness...is to give us a sense that we are all in
this together." more...
- Blue Collar Eulogies by Michael Meyerhofer
- "Meyerhofer's tough, lovely poems remind us that the aim of
being human...is to rise above ourselves, to
take this sorry predicament and turn it into something shining and valuable."
—George Bilgere more...
- Nevertheless, hello by Christopher Goodrich
- "Talk about love and marriage, in poetry that's inventive,
playful, and right on target about just how needy we all are?
Read this book for pure pleasure."
- Bending Under the Yellow Police Tapes by James Doyle
- “Doyle's characters persevere...because they are all right with the unfairness,
the sometimes absurdity, of the world.”